Top 5 book suggestions for anyone suffering from stress, anxiety or depression. All of these books are available in audio format which some, including myself, may find easier.
1. Chimp Paradox: The Mind Management – Prof Steve Peters
How many of you have read your “user manual” for your brain? This book is the nearest thing I have found to a user manual. In easy to understand language, Prof. Steve Peters gives us a simple model of how your brain works. It demonstrates how most issues are invented by the brain to keep you safe. Through reading thing this book I would hope your perspective of yourself, other people and the world will shift.
3. Sane New World: Taming the Mind – Ruby Wax
An excellent book from a surprising source. Ruby has an excellent knowledge of physiological issues and draws upon her own life experience to illustrate the points she wishes top put across. This book is also an excellent introduction to the benefits of mindfulness.
4. Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world – Mark Williams
This book gives you a set of simple yet powerful practices that can be incorporated into daily life to help break the cycle of unhappiness, stress, anxiety and mental exhaustion. The book is based on Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT). MBCT revolves around a straightforward form of mindfulness meditation, which takes just a few minutes a day for the full benefits to be revealed. MBCT has been clinically proven to be at least as effective as drugs for depression and it is recommended by the UK’s National Institute of Clinical Excellence.
5. Happy: Why More or Less Everything is Absolutely Fine by Darren Brown
Another surprising author, this is an excellent book for those who wish to push their understanding of how we human beings work and are willing to take themselves on… fascinating!
- Retire your anxious brain – Catherine M Pittman and Elizabeth M Karle
- Cognitive behavioural Therapy: Techniques for Retraining your Brain – Professor Jason M. Satterfield
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies – Rhena Branch
- Managing Anxiety with CBT for Dummies – Graham C. Davey
- The NLP Practitioner: A Practitioners Toolkit – Toby And Kate McCartney
- Teach Yourself To Meditate – Eric Harrison
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull – Richard Bach
- The Empathy Instinct – Peter Bazalgette
- The art of possibility – Benjamin Zander
- The Four Agreements: Practical Guide to Personal Freedom – Don Miguel Ruiz
And here’s a bonus book recommendation from member Richard..
And do you have any others?…